This was so yummy & satisfying! Husband & kids approved! I also served a side of organic steamed green beans.
Prep time: 20 min (took me 25 min) Cook time: 15-20 min
1/2 cup(about) whole wheat bread crumbs (2 slices of bread)
1 1/3 cup organic low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb ground uncooked turkey breast
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 jar(25 oz) organic tomato pasta sauce
Hot cooked brown rice (I used brown rice-quinoa-barley-rye mix)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Tear bread into pieces; place in food processor; blend until fine crumbs. Transfer to bowl, add 1/3 cup of broth; set aside. (you can also sub, pre-made breadcrumbs)
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, onion, chili powder, cinnamon, & red pepper flake. Add soaked bread crumbs. With clean hands thoroughly combine ingredients (least favorite part). Wet hands to keep mixture from sticking. Shape into 32 1-inch meatballs (I made 6 1-inch, and 10 larger ones), set aside.
3. In a large skillet w/ cover, combine pasta sauce & remaining chicken broth (1 cup). Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Carefully, add meatballs, one at a time. Return to a boil, using a large spoon to turn meatballs. Reduce heat to med-low; cover & simmer for 15-20min.
5. Serve meatballs over hot cooked rice, garnish with parsley.
Per Serving, 211 cal., 3g total fat (1g sat fat), 46mg chol., 685mg sodium, 20g carb., 1g fiber, 29g protein. Daily values, 23% vitA, 17% vitC, 6% calcium, 17% iron
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did... These will also make yummy appetizers for a party, serve with mini pitas instead of rice, a spin & a kick on typical meatballs (you could keep them warm in a crock pot).