Prevent Memory Loss
- Stay Mentally Active: keep your brain active by doing puzzles (crossword & sudoku are great); read books; drive a different way to work; play games; learn a new language, sport, or musical instrument.
- Get Organized: you are more likely to forget things when there is clutter around; jot down to-do lists, calendar appointments, and repeat each task or appointment out loud to help you remember; set a certain place for keys, wallet, or other essential things.
- Focus: limit distractions (i.e. tv, radio, loud environments), and don't try to do too many things at once.
- Socialize Regularly: social settings can help ward off depression and stress, which can cause memory loss. Enjoy opportunities to get together with loved ones & friends, especially if you live alone.
- Eat Healthy: healthy diet is good for your body and your brain, focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. What you drink counts too, not enough water or too much alcohol can lead to confusion and memory loss.
- Physical Activity: physical activity increases blood flow through your body and to your brain, which helps to keep your mind sharp. Shoot for the recommended 150 min of moderate aerobic activity a week.
- Doctors: See your doctor for regular check-ups. Stay on top of chronic conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression, which can contribute to memory loss. If you feel your declining memory is starting to interfere with your normal daily activities, be sure to communicate that to your doctor clearly and early. Proper tests and treatments will be determined as needed, early diagnosis and treatment can help reverse the effects of memory loss.
Proper diet, rest, and physical activity always play a big part in overall healthy, but also in the prevention of memory loss. Remember, the better you take care of yourself, the better your memory will be. Stay focused and healthy, my friends!
Ugh, sometimes I feel like I have the WORST memory! I really need to work on that, thanks for all of these helpful tips!ReplyDelete