Here are some ways we can encourage and empower the elders to be healthy:
1. Move! Within their ability, maybe it means an easy walk a few times a week, water aerobics classes, or full body workouts in a gym or group exercises classes. More movement will help increase mobility, no matter how limited!
2. Eat good! Encourage our elders to eat the way they were raised. Healthy, Whole Foods... that may require some work on our part. Many elders don't want to cook for just one, so helping to ensure they have healthy choices within their reach. Maybe making an extra plate and deliver it to your loved one.
3. Mentally & Socially. Active brains and active social calendars help to fight off dementia, Alzheimer's, and loneliness. Puzzles, books, card games, classes and friends at community centers or local YMCA, and of course, spending time with you and the younger loved ones. Keep the light in their soul bright!
4. Space full of warmth! Make their home, however large or small, warm and full of love. Clutter free, organized, full of familiar items and pictures, clean, and easy to maintain. Maybe they are surrounded by medical staff, family, or still live independently, either way... the warmer the better!
5. The Doctor is their Friend! Encourage our elders to stay up on their check ups, preventative tests and screenings, vaccines, and treatments. Burying their head in sand won't keep them healthy. Go with them, if necessary!
6. Lastly, Positive thinking, goes a long way! They are still strong and capable! They are loved and needed! They can still do anything they put their minds to! And many times, they need to be reminded of this. They are never a burden, enjoy their presence, and make sure you let them know, how much they are loved!
My grandmother lived to be 100 and 358 days old... I was so blessed. All I can say is, I will continue to do all in my power to encourage the remaining elders around me, family and friends, to live a healthier and happier life! I empower you to do the same, and Encourage and Empower your Elders to be healthy!